Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Novel Ate My Blog

I am totally slacking off at the Huffington Post. After meeting with Robyn last week and having her light the fire under my ass to finally get on top of that novel I've been working on for (10) years, I finally buckled down, put my nose to the grindstone, and several other cliches, and am DOING it. (Heh, I said "doing it.") I went to a few writerly websites, printed out some advice on fleshing out my characters, creating a semblance of a coherent plot, and not boring people to death with pointless setting descriptions and pointed myself in the right direction. I set a goal (75,000 words) and a deadline (the Juban Princeling's birthday, which is in early October) and sat down and just effing DID it.

After too many stops-and-starts to count over the past 10 years when I first came up with these characters, I finally have something on paper that resembles a plot. And now I have to translate that into an actual, you know, novel. I started exactly one week ago and as of right now I have 7,200 words done. I'm 1/10th of the way there!

Because of this, and because my freelancing career is finally taking off, HuffPo has to take a backseat for a while. I'll still do it when I can, but it's not my priority at the moment. I like writing for the Huffington Post, but they don't pay, and I have got to get this novel out of me. Like, NOW.

So off I go. Wish me luck!

...my novel, that is.

(Graphic from Friendly Spirit's Booklovers Shop on CafePress)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments not posted through OpenID or Google need to be signed, or they will be deleted.